Serious DNS problem making my domain unusable

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 22 17:37:57 UTC 1999

In article <7sb08s$gdl$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <jordanr at my-deja.com> wrote:
>This may not be specifically related to bind, but...
>
>I am having the biggest problem with a domain (jrsoftware.org)
>registered through yournamefree.com. Even though I have changed the DNS
>servers for the domain to ns1.granitecanyon.com and
>ns2.granitecanyon.com with Network Solutions over a *week*
>ago, "nslookup" is still showing my domain as pointing to
>the "namesdirect.com" servers (what yournamefree.com sets them as by
>default), according to my ISP's DNS servers:

This is a well-known problem with BIND cache management, which is supposed
to be fixed in the next version.  The problem is that every time your ISP's
server needs to look something up in the domain, it uses the NS records in
its cache to find the servers for your domain.  The cache initially
contained the old servers.  When that server responds, it includes NS
records in the Authority Records section of the reply, and the ISP's server
updates the TTL of these records in its cache.  So as long as it keeps on
doing lookups before the NS records' TTLs expire, it will keep resetting
the timeout, and they'll never expire.

The solution is to get the namesdirect.com people to remove the domain from
their servers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com