Local DNS and unresolvable virtual web host

Chris P. Gatcombe chris at gatcombe.com
Wed Sep 22 11:07:05 UTC 1999

Hi all,

I run a home Windows network with a Linux firewall/gateway/router on
which I run a nameserver. I also own a domain name "mydomain.com", with
a virtual web host hosted by a third party provider. My internal windows
PCs can't resolve the "www.mydomain.com" address of my virtual web host.
I know it exists - I can access it from my work network, but nslookup
fails to find it, even when I specify a specific nameserver to use.

How should I setup the named files to allow this to resolve? Currently
the files are setup at boot time with the settings obtained when DHCP
succeeds.

/etc/resolv.conf contains:

search mydomain.com ne.mediaone.net
nameserver 127.0.0.1

/etc/named.boot contains:

directory       /var/named
cache   .                               named.ca
primary 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa            named.local
primary mydomain.com                    named.mydomain.com
forwarders  24.128.64.6 24.128.2.6 24.128.1.81
options forward-only

I've read the DNS and Bind book cover to cover, and am under the
impression that specifying my ISP's nameservers as forwarders should
allow me to resolve anything.

Is it that I'm telling my nameserver that I'm authoritative for
mydomain.com and hence it will never look anywhere else for info?

All help will be appreciated,

Chris.