DNS on Solaris (was Re: dns server sizing?)

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 22 15:53:48 UTC 1999

   Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:48:21 +0200
   From: Jim Reid <jim at mpn.cp.philips.com>

       >>  True: up to a point. But what if those clients are things like
       >> dig or nslookup or even named-xfer? And how do you know where
       >> or what is giving them an answer to a host lookup? I suppose
       >> someone could by-pass all that Solaris cruft by statically
       >> linking the name server software with libbind.a - no more
       >> nsswitch.conf - but why bother with that hassle in the first
       >> place?

       Barry> It doesn't matter what the clients are doing.  named
       Barry> doesn't use nsswitch.conf *ever*.  It doesn't use doors,
       Barry> nscd, NIS, etc.  named on Solaris is essentially the same
       Barry> as named on any other system.

   I know that. I was referring to DNS tools like dig and so on which
   could go through all that DOORS and nsswitch.conf cruft.

No they can't.  They're part of BIND and have no Solaris-specific cruft in
them.  And they run on the client machines, not the servers.

In any case, all our DNS servers are running Solaris 2.6 and BIND 8.1.2 and
they run perfectly fine.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com