DNS Security Question

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Tue Sep 21 01:17:14 UTC 1999

    Dave> This may be a silly question, but is there anyway to stop a
    Dave> nameserver from resolving certain domains? For example... many
    Dave> users in my company are hitting sextracker.com and sexhound.com
    Dave> etc., and I'm wondering if there is any possible way to make our
    Dave> DNS server ignore requests for these domains.

There may be ways to eliminate them (I've certainly never pretended to be a
DNS expert..), but if my experience with my teenage sons is any indication,
if they want it they'll find a way to get it. ;-) You'll always be a step
behind.  Can't get to sextracker.com? Okay, I can live with
xxxsites.com. Block that too?  Well, there's always sf49ersbabes.com (or
whatever).  I think you see where I'm headed with this.  At one time I
probably was filtering out a couple hundred sites and a similar number of
path patterns with squid.  It's generally futile to try to block access
based on hostnames or URL patterns.

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...