How many NS records should be in the 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa zone?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Sep 20 22:36:50 UTC 1999

> > According to the DNS and BIND book the zone file for 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa
> > should contain an NS record for each server in your domain (see the 3rd
> > edition page 67).  First question - is this a correct assumption?
>
> This doesn't seem correct.  I don't have my copy of DNS & BIND handy
> so I can't check your reference.

D&B does NOT say that.  It gives an example, in which there are two (2)
NS records instead of 1.  It makes no statement why it does so, or
whether you should use 1 or 2 or N, N > 2.

I realized today why that might be.  Some systems start other network
aware programs before 'named'!  ;-?  If they cannot reach their own
local 'named', they might be able to reach the other one.

Maybe I'll change mine to point to two servers, now.  ;-}

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B