BIND 8 with forwarding and sub-domains under a split-dns

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 20 21:26:25 UTC 1999

This should work as long as your head-domain-server  is a slave for all of
those subdomains. If a server is authoritative for a zone, it won't forward
queries for anything in that zone. It might also work to define all of the
subdomains as "stub" zones to the head-domain-server, although I must admit
I have not seen stub zones used in actual practice. If the subdomain is rarely
queried from other servers and/or changes frequently, then in theory a stub
zone should save you some zone-transfer overhead, compared to being a
full-blown slave.

Note that if you set things up this way, you basically defeat the whole
delegation/referral mechanism and thus forfeit the optimizations and improved
redundancy associated with it. If your internal nodes don't really need
visibility of Internet names, e.g. all of your firewalls are proxy firewalls,
an internal-root architecture might make more sense than the forwarding
hierarchy you are architecting.

- Kevin