How to use NOTIFY

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Mon Sep 20 20:00:12 UTC 1999

    Dave> In article <27403.937742691 at kludge.mpn.cp.philips.com>, Jim
    Dave> Reid <jim at mpn.cp.philips.com> wrote:
    >> You say that the master and slave (secondary) servers are not
    >> in sync with each other after restarting both of them. This
    >> means there is a deeper and more serious problem with those
    >> servers that has nothing to do with NOTIFY. There are several
    >> explanations:
    Dave> [1..4]

    Dave> [5] the slave server is not listed in the NS records and/or
    Dave> glue data is incorrect for the slave, so NOTIFY messages
    Dave> either aren't being sent out or to the wrong address.

True, but that should go away once the zone's refresh interval comes
around. [And if both servers are restarted - as the original poster
claimed - it shouldn't matter if the master server sends NOTIFYs to
the wrong address or doesn't send them at all.] As I'm sure you know
very well, name servers kept themselves in sync before NOTIFY was
deployed. It just took a little longer for the changes to
propagate....