SOA/NS Question

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sat Sep 18 05:01:50 UTC 1999

Jim Reid <jim at mpn.cp.philips.com> wrote in message
news:<24447.937503066 at kludge.mpn.cp.philips.com>...
> If the MNAME field of the SOA record does not the real master name
> server for the domain, dynamic DNS updates will probably not work. The
> MNAME in the SOA is the only way to reliably determine where the
> zone's master server is located. [Other than for dynamic DNS updates,
> nothing really cares what's in that field of the SOA record.]

Moreover, if the name server listed in the MNAME field is not also listed in
an NS record, dynamic updates may not work.  I haven't verified this with
Windows 2000, but res_update() is written to send dynamic updates to the
name servers listed in the NS RRs, starting with the name server listed in
the SOA.MNAME field.  I don't believe it will send dynamic updates to a name
server only listed in the SOA.MNAME field.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.