Wildcards?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Sep 17 21:54:49 UTC 1999

In article <00d801bf0155$ceadae40$b477a8ce at acmebw.com>,
Cricket Liu <cricket at acmebw.com> wrote:
>Jason Brown <jason.brown at kingston-internet.net> wrote in message
>news:<7rimj6$vi6$1 at newsreader3.core.theplanet.net>...
>> I wanted to add a wild card of www.* within my domain, but it doesnt work,
>> an nslookup for www.anything.karoo.net should have shown a result of CNAME
>> brownbear, but instead it cannot resolve it.
>> A nslookup of www.*.karoo.net does show a result of CNAME brownbear.
>> why didnt it work?
>>
>> I did get around this by just adding:
>> *                                                   28800   CNAME
>> brownbear
>>
>> Within my zone file. This works but not as I wanted it!!! why didnt www.*
>> work?
>
>The wildcard must be the leftmost label in the domain name, according to RFC
>1034.

This is true according to the spec.  However, one of our customers
discovered that BIND allows CNAME records (but not other record types) for
names in the form XXX.*.  For instance, we have a CNAME record for mail.*
in the hamptoninn.com zone, and it works:

; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> mail.XXX.hamptoninn.com a
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; Ques: 1, Ans: 2, Auth: 2, Addit: 2
;; QUESTIONS:
;;	mail.XXX.hamptoninn.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
mail.XXX.hamptoninn.com.	86400	CNAME	mail.hamptoninn.com.criticalpath.net.
mail.hamptoninn.com.criticalpath.net.	3594	A	209.229.28.193

They said they wrote the BIND developers asking whether this is the result
of a bug or deliberate design.  And since they desperately want to continue
using this feature, they suggested that it be written up as an RFC proposal
to make it legitimate.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com