playing w/ "version"

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Sep 17 17:29:21 UTC 1999

In article <525024019.937582551326.JavaMail.qtran at hutch.East.Sun.COM>,
 <Christine.Tran at east.sun.com> wrote:

>From 1999/08/23:
>
>>Create a CHAOSNET zone called "bind," with just an SOA and an NS record,
>>and use the allow-query substatement to determine who can look up data in
>>that zone:
>>                  db.bind:
>>
>>                  @ IN SOA ns1 root ( 1999082300 3h 30m 30d 3h )
>>                    IN    NS    ns1
>>
>>                  named.conf:
>>
>>                  zone "bind" chaos {
>>                      type master;
>>                      file "db.bind";
>>                      allow-query { localhost; };
>>                  };
>

>Ok, this doesn't work, bind will complain about wrong class and throw out
>the zone.  I changed IN to CHAOS and it worked for me.  Can I put
>anything else in db.bind to modify the version txt string or do I have to
>recompile to get it to do that?

You shouldn't have "IN SOA" and "IN NS", you should have "CHAOS SOA" and
"CHAOS NS".  Just as all the records in a zone file have to be in that
zone, they also have to be in the class you said the zone file was in.

Of course, you can simply leave out the class entirely in all zone files;
it will default to the class specified in named.conf.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com