help - resolv.conf (on Solaris)

Mark A Roberts maroberts at dial.pipex.com
Fri Sep 17 16:03:43 UTC 1999

I have the following questions regarding DNS and resolv.conf. As you may
guess I'm a bit of a novice at DNS setup....

Please post replies direct to sender....

1. Can you have both "domain" and "search" keywords in the resolv.conf
file ?
   Are there any known adverse results from doing so ?
   [domain followed by search - the man page seems to suggest only the
last will be used ]
   Is there any difference between "domain" and "search" with just one
entry ?

2. I performed a name search on a Solaris 2.5.1 machine and a Solaris
2.6 machine. The former appeared to do go through the "search" list even
when given a FQDN. Is this a (known) bug or problem, or have I screwed
up somewhere ?

both configured with the following resolv.conf file.
domain uk.ntc.nokia.com
search uk.ntc.nokia.com trs.ntc.nokia.com ntc.nokia.com europe.nokia.com
nokia.com
nameserver 1.2.3.4
nameserver 2.3.4.5
nameserver 3.4.5.6

Solaris 2.6 machine
===================
nslookup:
> set d2
> cpd.ntc.nokia.com
res_mkquery(0, cpd.ntc.nokia.com, 1, 1)

[answer found]

Solaris 2.5.1 machine:
> set d2
> cpd.ntc.nokia.com
res_mkquery(0, cpd.ntc.nokia.com.uk.ntc.nokia.com, 1, 1)
res_mkquery(0, cpd.ntc.nokia.com.trs.ntc.nokia.com, 1, 1)
res_mkquery(0, cpd.ntc.nokia.com.ntc.nokia.com, 1, 1)
res_mkquery(0, cpd.ntc.nokia.com.europe.nokia.com, 1, 1)
res_mkquery(0, cpd.ntc.nokia.com.nokia.com, 1, 1)