domain doesn't resolve (but hosts do)

glen herrmannsfeldt gah at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 16 18:59:44 UTC 1999

Only an MX record is required for receiving mail, and this should not
change.  There must be an A for the destination of the MX, though.
(The destination might be through a uucp link, or otherwise not directly
reachable.)

Your question is the from address, which is different.  I believe,
that because of spam, smtp servers are checking the source address
more carefully, and that is the problem as you describe.  Note that
the sending machine does not need to run an smtp server.  The MX for
that name could point to a different machine.  The recipient just wants
to verify that your mail header isn't fake, and so you need an A.
It might also verify the reverse, so you should be sure to have a PTR, also.

-- glen