bind 8.1.2 + compaq truunix 64 5.0 = problem

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Sep 16 19:09:47 UTC 1999

> I can't get Bind 8.1.2 to compile under Compaq TruUNIX 64 5.0.  It
> compiled fine under Digital Unix 4.0f.  I have been going back and
> forth with Compaq.  Essentially, they redid the compiler for 5.0 so
> that it is ANSI compliant instead of Carnegie Richie compliant.  Even
> using the "backwards compatibility mode" of -std0, it still won't
> compile.  Any ideas?

"Compaq Tru64 Unix".  Doesn't it just trip off the tongue?  ;-)

I'd thought the DEC compiler had been ANSI-compliant for years now,
with "Kernighan & Ritchie" (K&R) just an option?

The DEC Alpha "include" files had some strange orderings in them.  I
did the following when trying to compile on some OLD Alphas that had
not been upgraded in years.  See if any of this helps.

I moved <sys/types.h> to the top, and removed <net/route.h>.  I also
added "_BSD" in one file, to change conditional compilation of
something, I forget what.  Try just the #include changes, first.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B