DNS upgrade from bind v4 to bind v8

M mc599 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 23:37:56 UTC 1999

>     i want to upgrade my dns using bind 8. I've heard that the
>configuration file in version 8 is no longer named.boot but named.conf.
>I just want to know if what in particular will i have to upgrade of modify
>on my dns setup.

The only problem I experienced was that BIND 8.2 was much less tolerant of
syntax errors/typos in the zone files.  [I can't tell if this was a 4.x ->
8.x change, or if this was an issue with the stock 4.x package that came
with HP-UX.]

In any case, watch for the word "rejected" in the logfile, in reference to
a zone load.  I had a devil of a time tracking this one down, as our
primary DNS server would load the zone for itself [i.e. we could resolve
names from the master] but it would refuse to transfer the "bad" zone data
to the secondaries...

One other quirk: in an interactive "nslookup" session, people complained
that they could no longer run
    	ls <some domain>
but that was simple to resolve: run
    	ls -d <some domain>
instead.

Save for this, the upgrade was rather quiet and uneventful.  Because the
zone files don't need to be changed, rolling back the upgrade would take
just moments.