domain routed through some ISPs not others

B.J. Sanaee bjsanaee at devilsadvocate.net
Wed Sep 15 21:50:27 UTC 1999

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, B.J. Sanaee wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Bob Browning wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I am pretty much a DNS novice, but I have a problem.  I hope this is the
> > right newsgroup...
> >
> > The domain in question www.lsmpartners.co.uk sometimes resolves to
> > 212.41.45.133 (which is wrong) and other times to the right address
> > (192.41.45.133) .  This depends on which ISP we go through.  The ISP who set
> > it up desn't seem to know what to do, can anyone out there suggest what
> > would be behind this problem and how to fix it.
>
>   The zone file was apparently updated on basil.focusnet.co.uk, but the
> serial wasn't incremented, so the slave(s) don't know about the change ...

  Err ... in case that wasn't verbose enough (various bits of snippage
in the following)..

ns1:/usr/local/dns/IP$ host -t ns lsmpartners.co.uk ns.eu.net
lsmpartners.co.uk name server basil.focusnet.co.uk
lsmpartners.co.uk name server rosemary.focusnet.co.uk

ns1:/usr/local/dns/IP$ host -t a www.lsmpartners.co.uk basil.focusnet.co.uk
www.lsmpartners.co.uk has address 192.41.45.133

ns1:/usr/local/dns/IP$ host -t a www.lsmpartners.co.uk rosemary.focusnet.co.uk
www.lsmpartners.co.uk has address 212.41.45.133

ns1:/usr/local/dns/IP$ host -t soa lsmpartners.co.uk. basil.focusnet.co.uk
lsmpartners.co.uk start of authority    basil.focusnet.co.uk rosemary.focusnet.co.uk(
                        1999072101   <---- Looky   ;serial (version)
                        10800   ;refresh period
                        3600    ;retry refresh this often
                        604800  ;expiration period
                        86400   ;minimum TTL
                        )

ns1:/usr/local/dns/IP$ host -t soa lsmpartners.co.uk. rosemary.focusnet.co.uk
lsmpartners.co.uk start of authority    basil.focusnet.co.uk rosemary.focusnet.co.uk(
                        1999072101   <---- and again   ;serial (version)
                        10800   ;refresh period
                        3600    ;retry refresh this often
                        604800  ;expiration period
                        86400   ;minimum TTL
                        )

  I'm surprised the isp wasn't able to figure this out. The symptoms are
classic.

  B.J.