1 dns - 2 networks

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 15 21:09:54 UTC 1999

In article <7rnrja$2aci$1 at news.cybercity.dk>, Da User <user at home.foo> wrote:
>Hi there!
>
>I've got a few Q's.
>
>I've got two networks 192.168.0 and 192.168.1 they both got the same
>domain name home.net this might not be so smart - I don't know.
>
>Well the networks look like this:
>
>box01.home.net 192.168.0.1
>box02.home.net 192.168.0.2
>linux.home.net 192.168.0.3
>
>box11.home.net 192.168.1.1
>box12.home.net 192.168.1.2
>linux.home.net 192.168.1.3
>
>"linux" got 2 nic, and thus two ips.
>
>Q1: Is it ok for it to have the same name on both networks?

As far as DNS is concerned, it's fine.  DNS doesn't know anything about
networks, it just translates names to addresses.  If you create two A
records for linux.home.net, you'll get round robin between them.

>"linux" is the dns of the first network and this work.
>
>Q2: How do I make it the master for the 2nd nework also?
>
>I thought I'd simply make a file called named.192.168.1 and added all
>the names to it, but this doesn't work.

You also need to add the zone to the named.conf file, so named will know to
read that file:

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
  type master;
  file "named.192.168.1";