DNS upgrade ($TTL qustion)

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Sep 14 16:41:33 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.990914120039.2514c-100000 at home.nuge.com>,
Jay Nugent  <jjn at home.nuge.com> wrote:
>   I see this question alot.  And I've seen some very brief answers that
>have left me sometimes more confused just when I though I was finally
>catching on :-(   I've looked through the "DNS and BIND 3rd Ed." for
>information and *examples* on the use of the $TTL directive and found
>nothing.  Okay, I'm stupid...

In the Preface, in the section titled "Versions", it says, "This book deals
with the new 8.1.2 version of BIND".  $TTL didn't exist until 8.2 (you
specifically asked about upgrading from 8.1 to 8.2).

>   Could someone who's in the know humor me (and the others that want to
>know). <I>Please</I> cut and paste in an example of what the $TTL is
>supposed to look like.  Please include the entire SOA record so we can see
>how it all goes together...

$TTL 86400

It's not part of the SOA record.  This just sets the default TTL for any
records that don't have an explicit TTL of their own.  Previous versions of
BIND used the MinTTL field in the SOA record for this, but now that field
is supposed to be the negative cache TTL of the zone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com