Bind 4.2 Problems/Questions

D. Stussy kd6lvw at bde-arc.ampr.org
Mon Sep 13 19:40:36 UTC 1999

On 13 Sep 1999, Carl Hilton wrote:
> My system was working and it stopped.... Now the question is why.....
>
> My folks have the need to have Domain Lookups on some specific machines
> without using FQDN (ie... mymachine1 and have this resolve to
> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX).
>
> I currently have in my bind file...
>
> $ORIGIN .
> mymachine1  IN CNAME mymachine1.mydomain.com.
>

> $ORIGIN mydomain.com
> mymachine1   A aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
>
> Is this not the correct approach? Like I said this was working last
> week but
> now it's not... The only thing that changed was that the actual machine
> "mymachine" which is an NT SERVER was changed out.... the current
> machine
> does have the correct IP address and I can ping it by IP or by FQDN.

That is not correct because it creates a "top level host" and the host will
probably also be outside of the domain that you're defining in that data file.

The correct approach is to configure the DNS client system to try searching
your domain first before assuming FQDN's.

[Also, the latest version 4 series of BIND is 4.9.7 - 4.2 appears very old.]