DNS Wacky

Sydney Urshan urshan at urshan.com
Sun Sep 12 02:44:31 UTC 1999

I have a (Cobalt) server named bodhisattva.nethollywood.net at
216.132.106.221.  Virtual domain nethollywood.net resides on the same
machine with 216.132.111.52 as the IP.  ns1.nethollywood.net
(216.132.111.51) and ns2.nethollywood.net (216.132.111.52) are "virtual
name servers" on the same machine.  Web sites are hosted with NSI records
as ns1/ns2, etc.  Web sites look to the bodhisattva.nethollywood.net
machine and find their entries in the dns and resolve.  It may not be
recommended, but it works great.

To take it further, I added a Linux box, Red Hat 6.0 (SSL), with 2.2.12
kernel on a new network.  I made the same scenario as above with
ns3.nethollywood.net (63.194.42.3) and ns4.nethollywood.net (63.194.42.4)
with the box called gaucho.nethollywood.net at 63.194.42.5.  Before, the
box was at .22 and everything worked with nslookups, bwowsers, etc.  I had
routing issues and renumbered web sites and the box to .5.  ns3/ns4's IP
numbers never changed.  All the web sites with ns3/ns4 in the NSI records
do not work now, however ns3/ns4 are still working as virtual domains with
their IPs or ns.x domain names.  nslookup forward and reverse lookups at
local host all show perfect records.  Some lookups from other servers show
nethollywood.net/bodhisattva as the origin for gaucho/ns3/ns4.  I'm not
sure what that's all about except that things must be following
nethollywood.net to bodhisattva.

Basically, I want everything separate with the only common denominator
"nethollywood.net".  One sample domain which is not working now is
bankofamericafraud.com at 63.194.42.43, formally .35.  (The current IP
makes it to the web site.)

First, it seemed like a caching issue on various name servers, but it has
been several days now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please give as much detail as
possible so I will know what to do.

Sydney Urshan