what does named...

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Sep 9 20:43:35 UTC 1999

In article <rtg5iuj51iv80 at corp.supernews.com>, David <pozoc at phobia.ms> wrote:
>why is it when named is started, it takes about 30 seconds to get up to
>"full speed" ?  When i start it.. it seems slow, lookups and all.. but after
>about 30 seconds, it works just fine.

Is your name server authoritative for lots of domains?  If so, it takes
time to load them in.

Also, when it starts up it doesn't have anything other than the root
servers in its cache.  During the first few queries it will learn the close
servers for the major top-level domains (NET, COM, ORG), as well as the
popular 2nd-level domains (netscape.com, etc.).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com