Running but won't answer?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Sep 9 16:44:50 UTC 1999

> Well, seems I've got 8.2.1 to run, with no errors being reported in the
> messages log.  But it's not answering to queries... unless I do an
> "nslookup".. change the server to itself.. and then ask for a host.
>
> Anyone from outside the box (not even on the same net) can get an answer
> from it.  I've not implemented any "listen_on" commands, since they default
> to all, on all ports.
>
> Something obvious I've missed?  And can anyone feel comfortable enough to
> send me a sample "named.conf" (without the zone info, of course.. just
> looking for directives here.)

The obvious has nothing to do with named.conf.  That configures the
server, and you are completely done with that.  Now you have to
configure another part of BIND - the resolver (which is the client to
the server).  In /etc/resolv.conf, you should have the host's IP
address listed as a "nameserver".

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B