How can I configure two independent DNS Servers

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Sep 8 22:54:32 UTC 1999

> I want to configure two independent dns servers for my domain.  One
> would be to resolve typical internet type requests (e.g.
> www.whatever.com, ftp.whatever.com etc.).  I would like a second dns
> server for internal purposes (smb.whatever.com, firewall.whatever.com
> etc.).  If I am not mistaken these two machines could potentially
> conflict with each other as they both want to be the root server for
> whatever.com.  Can I configure both as root servers and ensure that
> there is no route between them (seeing that one will be on an
> intranet)?  Is there a better way to do this?  I would rather not put
> all the info on one system and have the second system act as a backup.
> Any help is appreciated.

The internal server should never be advertised externally.  All
internal machines should resolve from it.  It should "forward" any
queries it cannot resolve out to the Internet, possibly via your
external name server.

Externally, advertise the external server.  It will receive and pass on
queries from the internal name server; but none of them will be for the
"shared" domain.  ;-)  It will also answer any external queries on the
"shared" domain, though.

You aren't the author of the same name, are you?  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B