unapporved update

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Sep 8 20:43:35 UTC 1999

> The MAJOR problem is this - RFC 2052 is listed as "experimental", and
> the last time I checked, 2052bis had not yet been released from the IETF
> working group.  The ONLY implementation of 2052 is the Microsoft
> DNS that comes with Windows 2000, and I am not about to replace my
> BIND 8.1.2 with a MS DNS.  I do not want all of the future Windows 2000
> boxes on campus here doing dynamic updates to our BIND DNS zones.

Cricket Liu has been pointing out [but not sending to you directly, so
you may not have seen it yet] that BIND does handle SRV records per RFC
2052, and has for a while [since well before MS, I think].  I think you
will have seen Michael Voigt's note about a Cisco product that does
likewise.

One suggestion for handling your dilemma that was posted here recently
was to have a "sacrificial lamb" domain, whose server would allow all
of the MSW2K hosts to murderize its DNS.  ;-)

Of course, you could always engage the MS zealots in rational
discussion, and point out that what they really need is not sold in
Richmond WA.  ;-}

Good luck.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B