DNS Configuration Problem

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 8 20:13:31 UTC 1999

In article <7r6e9n$1pn$1 at eskinews.eskimo.com>,
Jonathon <jblake at eskimo.com> wrote:

>	The problem:
>	Using nslookup, I get the following error message
>	when looking up "stamp-coin.com"
>
>	natal.stamp-coin.com can't find stamp-coin.com: non-existent
>	host/domain.

nslookup gives the same message when a name doesn't exist or when the name
exists but there are no records of the type you requested.  By default, a
query looks for A records, and you don't have any A records for
stamp-coin.com.  You have:

>@ IN  SOA natal.stamp-coin.com. jblake.natal.stamp-coin.com. ( 1999090704
>10800 3600 604800 86400 )
>  IN  NS  natal.stamp-coin.com.
>  IN  NS  ns1.savvis.net.
>  IN  TXT "Contact Jonathon Blake"
>  IN  TXT "Voice: +1-206-818-0820"
>  IN  TXT "E-Mail:  jblake at stamp-coin.com "
>  IN  RP  jblake.natal.stamp-coin.com.  stamp-coin.com.

So you define SOA, NS, TXT, and RP records, but no A record for the domain.
If you had done "nslookup -type=txt stamp-coin.com" it would have worked.

>	Looking up "209.102.31.164" results in the same error message.
>	Looking up "natal.stamp-coin.com" gets the 'correct response'.
>	[  Mail bounces, with an error message of:
>	"Error 551: Read DNS and Bind." ]

To send mail to user at stamp-coin.com, you need either an MX record or an A
record for the name stamp-coin.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com