unapporved update

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Sep 8 15:15:27 UTC 1999

> Why does a WIN 2000 server need a WIN 2000 DNS box?

Because WIN 2000 registers arbitrary resource records in DNS via
RFC 2052 - records such as

     a) where are the Primary Domain Controllers?
     b) where are the LDAP servers?
     c) what services are available on which server?
     d) et alia

Anything that used to be stored in WINS (Windows Internet Name Server)
is now stored in DNS.  The server will update DNS dynamically (RFC
2136).  I have not looked at update records in detail (except for a
2000 Workstation trying to register itself), but I am told that as a
new Server comes online, it will try to register all of its services in
DNS.  When the server is removed, its services are unregistered.

The MAJOR problem is this - RFC 2052 is listed as "experimental", and
the last time I checked, 2052bis had not yet been released from the IETF
working group.  The ONLY implementation of 2052 is the Microsoft
DNS that comes with Windows 2000, and I am not about to replace my
BIND 8.1.2 with a MS DNS.  I do not want all of the future Windows 2000
boxes on campus here doing dynamic updates to our BIND DNS zones.

If there is interest I can post my summary of the WIN 2000 Workstation
dynamic update requests.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov