Bind 8.2.1 : TCP truncated error

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 8 03:29:33 UTC 1999

In article <7r35eg$gm3$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <lolop at my-deja.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>We're having this kind of message our log file for a DNS we recently
>updated to Bind 8.2.1 on Solaris :
>Sep  7 13:43:48 myserver.domain.fr named[28234]: ns_resp: TCP truncated:
>"237.185.46.207.in-addr.arpa" IN PTR from [193.10.19.10].53

This means that your server performed this query and got a truncated
response, because the result didn't fit in a 500-byte UDP packet.  So it
switched to TCP and tried again, yet the server set the "truncated" flag
this time as well.  I've seen this happen when an address has several
hundred PTR records.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

You read your news using deja.com -- don't you know how to use its search
engine so that you don't have to ask a question that has been asked before?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com