Company Root servers

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Sep 7 21:40:01 UTC 1999

Nils Helge Jorgensen wrote:
> My company would differentiate between internet and intranet, therefore the
> HQ has generated a root server file with all internal DNS root servers. We
> would like to do a local lookup to the internet DNS via our Gateway at our
> site.
>
> How could we differentiate between intranet lookups and internet lookup in
> our DNS?

Very simply, have an internal domain that has no members or server
externally.  E.g., "office.shell.no".  The internal server would serve
that domain, and pass all other queries externally.

> We have DNS running on NT 4.0 SP5.

Ah, then necessarily an antique version of BIND, eh?  If it is BIND at
all - which I was assuming, since you were asking this mailing list.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B