Two DNS newbie questions...

B.J. Sanaee bjsanaee at devilsadvocate.net
Tue Sep 7 19:03:38 UTC 1999

On 6 Sep 1999, Bruce James Robert Linley wrote:

> Question one:
>
> I've just got DNS working on my domain (Bind 8.x) after pouring through
> numerous FAQs and examples. And I can easily add new hosts and have them
> resolve. But how do I add an entry so that the domain name itself
> resolves to something. e.g., I have
>
> foo.bar.com => 192.168.1.1
> baz.bar.com => 192.168.1.2
> etc.
>
> But how can I get
> bar.com => 192.168.1.3
>
> Do I have to add a root level zone for com to resolve bar.com? (And
> somehow pass off other lookups to the real root server for .com?

  In the zone file for bar.com, you should put:

  bar.com. IN A 192.168.1.3

  or alternatively,

  @ IN A 192.168.1.3

> Question two:
>
> I have a cable modem with a single static IP address assigned to me.
> Right now, DNS believes I have a whole class C block 24.234.55.xxx
> because I can't seem to find a way for DNS to subnet below the octet
> level. Is there a solution to this so I can get reverse lookups
> working properly?

  Whoever's responsible for the zone 55.234.24.in-addr.arpa needs to
delegate xx (xx being the last octet of your ip address) to your
nameserver, presumably by putting something like

xx IN NS nameserver.bar.com.

  in the zone data for 55.234.24.in-addr.arpa.

  Then you configure nameserver to be authoritative for
xx.55.234.24.in-addr.arpa, and in the file for said zone, put

@ IN PTR <hostname>

  Rfc 2317 gives the best working suggestion for delegating partial
class C's, though it's probably not meaningful in your case.

  B.J.