BIND forwarder

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Sep 7 16:34:29 UTC 1999

> I'm not clear about when the forwarder is used to resolve a name.
> Is it that the forwarder will be used only when no other methods
> can be used to resolve a name, ie. no root server record entry,
> and no entries in /etc/resolv.conf file ????  Is there any relationship
> between the forwarder list and /etc/resolv.conf ??

The /etc/resolv.conf file is ONLY read by the client library that is
compiled into the applications.  It lists the servers that the appli-
cations will query when they want to look up a name.

It is NOT read or used by the BIND name server.

The fowarders are used when the query can not be resolved by local
information.  If in "forward first" mode [the default], then the name
server should first try the forwarder(s), and then try the listed name
servers [as normally].  If in "forward only" mode, then the name server
will ONLY query the named forwarder(s).

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B