NS and recursive? query

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Mon Sep 6 06:31:53 UTC 1999

Mike Machado wrote:

> Ok , this should be an easy answer to any experienced DNS admin.
> I have two servers, and countrydog.com domain.
>
> Say the internic is pointed to server 1 for this domain but the actual
> resource records are on server 2. What I have is on server 1:
>
> @                    server1.innercite.com.    root.countrydog.com. (
>                 1999090501      ; serial number
>                 10800           ; secondary refresh interval
>                 3600            ; secondary retry interval
>                 864000          ; secondary expire after about 10 days
>                 3600  )         ; TTL
>
>                 IN      NS   server2.innercite.com.

NO NO NO...

This means server 1 is authoritative and is expected to have all of the
records. If a server is authoritative and you query it for something it
doesn't have, you will get NXDOMAIN.

Why not make it secondary to server 2? What is the purpose here?
You do NOT make a server authoritative for a zone, unless you consider
it to be the LAST source you will query for the info. This means it MUST
have all the records you expect to resolve when you query it.

Michael