DNS programming

B <kyomu@satsuki.non> $B5uL5at gol.com
Sun Sep 5 09:13:00 UTC 1999

:BHKJust for amusement, I wrote something in REXX that would query a
:BHKnameserver (a sort-of cut-down "nslookup"); I could e-mail you that
:BHKsource if you're interested.  (I did this because I was writing an SMTP
:BHKclient in Rexx, and wanted to access the destinations' MX records from
:BHKwithin the code, using neither a smarthost, nor calling the local
:BHKresolver.)  It was quite an "interesting" exercise getting the correct
:BHKbinary values into character strings (because the latter is the ONLY form
:BHKof variable that Rexx uses).  Nevertheless, it worked: I really must get
:BHKaround to completing the SMTP client (I haven't touched it for a year:-)

	hello.  i am working on a similar problem (in C), but
	if you could spare some time i would love to see a
	copy of your code [ kyomu at twics.com ].

	my main problem is not the query, but dealing w/ the
	response.  i cant seem to parse it correctly.  i have
	been going through the code for bind (mostly focusing
	on the code in res_send.c and res_debug.c.  it seems
	i cant get dn_expand to work right.
	i want to strip information out of the answer.
	[if anyone has any info on this, i would be most great-full.]

	one of my problems
	might be that i have been away from coding for about
	a year, but ....

	anyway, would like to see the code.

						kyomu