Setting up a Root name server

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Sun Sep 5 07:13:32 UTC 1999

In article <37D064C6.C2F7DC74 at megabytecoffee.com>,
chris  <chris at megabytecoffee.com> wrote:
>Well, there are also sites that run 60 second TTL's. I've seen them, I
>think they
>are insane for doing so, but they do.

Your root server won't get any improvement on these.  All you're saving is
the lookups of delegation NS records from root/COM servers, and they all
have 2-day TTLs.

>> Local copies of the top-level domains could be useful if you were running
>> applications that performed enormous numbers of DNS lookups in rapid
>> succession.  For instance, a web server log analyzer would probably be sped
>> up noticeably if you had a local copy of the IN-ADDR.ARPA zone.  You could
>> also perform well on DNS benchmarks.  However, I think you'd see less
>> benefit to normal user DNS lookups.
>
>Ok, how about 10,000+ users hammering the DNS?

Each one of them will see a 40ms speedup each time they access a web site
for a domain whose NS records wouldn't have been cached.  They won't
notice unless they're running applications that do DNS lookups in tight
loops (like log analysis programs).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com