Adding a NS Record

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Sun Sep 5 07:19:33 UTC 1999

In article <Hl_z3.4400$KM3.41307 at news1.mia>,
Michael J Torres <mjt at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>The DNS on my system is running fine.
>
>I just want to add another NS record to the my domain . Example:
>
>Server 1    ns1.domain.com
>Server 2    ns2.domain.com <--- is the one to be added
>
>Since I am using a public IP address and my primary server is registered as
>"ns1.domain.com" will there be any problems just adding the server
>"ns2.domain .com" using the NS record.

No.  How else do you think you would advertise the availability of another
nameserver?  Why do you think the fact that your server has a public IP
address would be an issue?  I have a feeling there's some details you're
leaving out that might have an impact (maybe ns2 has a private address --
if so, you shouldn't advertise it in public DNS).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com