Weird problem for domains without A records but have MX records

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Sep 3 18:20:56 UTC 1999

In article <37cfe1d3.270401794 at news.infoave.net>,
SilverLeif <silverleif at infoave.net> wrote:
>This problem has happened to me twice on two seperate zone files.
>
>I set up a domain with MX records only. The MX record points to our
>Mail Server. This works fine for other domains
>But these 2 domains,  all mail messages are being bounced back
>the foreign smtp server complains that the domain does not resolve.
>Ofcourse it doesnt resolve since I didnt add in an A record  the MX
>record resolves fine,  NsLookUp is happy There are no errors in the
>zone file.

What's the domain?  Maybe there's a different problem that you didn't
notice, but one of us will see.  I've heard complaints like this before,
but have almost always been able to track it down to some other cause.

>My fix was to add in a dummy A record for the domain name.
>But my customer doesnt want a web page  all they want is email
>and im sure they will get ticked to find out their domain name
>resolves to my webpage.

Make it resolve to the address of your mail server instead.  Or make it
resolve to an address that isn't in use at all.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com