DNS and Bind Recrusion page 39 (3rd edition)

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Fri Sep 3 04:06:06 UTC 1999

> Since it's concerning recursion query, I've a question regarding local
> name server recursion query to a Root name server.

Local name servers don't send recursive queries to root name servers, and if
they did, the roots would ignore the fact that the queries were recursive,
since they have recursion turned off.

> If a local name
> server got a timeout error when querying a Root name server, it will
> usually return the same error to its client.

No, it won't.

> Is there any way to avoid this
> error and will the local name server query another Root name server
> next time instead of the previous timeout Root name server ?

Local name servers automatically try other root name servers if one doesn't
respond.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.