secondary vs caching

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Sep 3 03:11:07 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95.990902213456.2675G-100000 at josephus.furph.com>,
Becki Kain  <beckers at josephus.furph.com> wrote:
>I understand what they both are in theory, as servers, I don't understand
>the reason
>to use the use a caching server over a secondary though.  Can someone lend
>an idea on this?

A server can only be secondary for specific domains that are configured
into it (typically the ones belonging to that organization).  A caching
server is able to look up names in any domain on the Internet.

A server can be both caching and secondary.  It's secondary for the
organization's own domains, and caching for everything else.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com