DNS programming - once again

Michael Sedlak sedlak at nortelnetworks.com
Wed Sep 1 16:40:12 UTC 1999

Hi!

First of all thank you for your hints.
If've read the rfc1035 already, but I still can't find an answer to my
question.

Can anybody send me a "real" DNS-query-packet, containing the message
and question section? This can be a really "ugly" character-string, but
that is what I need to fully understand the coding of the bits and
bytes. I do not mean the one that I can get from nslookup, because this
one is already formatted.

Another example: When I have the type of an RR, it can have the type
"PTR" for the value "12" and the meaning "domain name pointer". So what
would the 16 bit type field look really look alike?

Regards,
Michael