Linux dns forwarder get through MSProxy ?

Benny HU bbenny at iname.com
Wed Sep 1 00:07:05 UTC 1999

Hi all,

I have setup a MS DNS forwarder in the LAN and it can make request to
DNS service outside through MS Proxy. I have proxy client installed.
I couldn't ping addresses outside my network from that server through
dos prompt.

I have setup a DNS forwarder on my Linux box but I got error messages
as "sysquery: sendto ([dns server address outside): Network is
unreachable)" I use the address of the MS proxy machine in the gateway
setting.

1. The reason why I can setup dns forwarder on NT machine is because I
have proxy client installed, so dns application will get pass the
msproxy to outside?

2. Is it because the MS proxy machine is not acting like a gateway, so
I can't setup a linux dns forwarder?

3. You can only setup a machine either as a proxy server or as a
gateway, is it correct?

4. If that's the case, is that any other way to allow the the linux dns
forwarder to get pass the Msproxy.

Please excuse my stupidity, thanks in advance for all the comments.
--
Benny
-
e-mail: bbenny at iname.com