in-addr.arpa question

Michael Slade mslade1 at rochester.rr.com
Sat Oct 30 19:07:12 UTC 1999

I'm about to set up a new domain name server 'C'.

I want to transfer to it as the primary namer server some virtual domains
that now have the primary name server 'A' and the secondary name server 'B'.

All the virtual domains are on the same subnet and I'd like to move some of
them at a time from primary 'A' to 'C'. I want to continue using 'B' as the
secondary for all the domains.

Aren't I going to have a problem with the subnet.in-addr.arpa SOA? That is
the secondary 'B' will see a subnet.in-addr.arpa SOA from primary 'A' that
has some domain in-addr records and another subnet.in-addr.arpa SOA from
primary 'B' (with other domain in-addr records).

Isn't this going to be a problem?  Or have I missed something?

Wouldn't I still have a problem if I used another server 'D' as the
secondary for the moved domains as there will still be master name servers
that have different subnet.in-addr.arpa information?

Suggestions and/or comments gratefully wanted!

TIA
Michael Slade
mslade1 at rochester.rr.com