soa.granitecanyon.com down? A different topic on granitecanyon

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Sun Oct 31 06:11:56 UTC 1999

In article <301019991535164440%ray at intertrick.org>,
Ray Souza  <ray at intertrick.org> wrote:
>1. Network Solutions is currently serving an 'under construction page'
>for our domain.  After successfully navigating the not too challenging
>granitecanyon.com zone procedure; do I have to notify network solutions
>of the change? I fear we have a conflict.

Yes, you have to tell them to change the registration of the zone to point
to the granitecanyon.com servers.  Also, you want them to stop billing you
for the "under construction" page.

>2. I would appreciate a critique of the zone record I submitted to
>granitecanyon.com, I was curious as to  how far off I managed to be
>after my all weekend 'full immersion in dns'.
>
>it is as follows:
>
>buildershardware.net.  IN SOA ns1.granitecanyon.com.
>ray.intertrick.org.                        IN  RP   ray.intertrick.org.
>( 69154405 10800 3600 604800 43200)

The numbers in parentheses should be part of the SOA record, not the RP
record.  And the RP record needs an additional parameter, the name of a TXT
record that describes you.  I believe the granitecanyon.com FAQ explains
how to construct the RP record.

>     ; Name Servers
>buildershardware.net. IN NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
>buildershardware.net. IN NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
>     ; Addresses for canonical names
>
>buildershardware.net. IN A 216.103.84.229
>localhost.buildershardware.net. IN A 127.0.0.1
>
>; Aliases
>www.buildershardware.net. IN CNAME buildershardware.net.
>ftp.buildershardware.net. IN CNAME buildershardware.net.
>mail.buildershardware.net. IN CNAME buildershardware.net.

>As I stated earlier,  I have:
>
>a dedicated IP address (216.103.229)
>a registered domain (buildershardware.net)
>
>And I am hopeful of
>
>Pointing our domain to my address
>add additional host names?
>Receive mail to our domain

For mail, you should add:

buildershardware.net. IN MX 10 buildershardware.net.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com