how to list zones on a dns server?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Oct 29 21:42:51 UTC 1999

In article <3819FBEE.8FA554AD at mindspring.com>,
Tom Hite  <tomhite at mindspring.net> wrote:
>How do you find out the zones served by a name server? Is there
>an nslookup command for this? Alternatively, there used to be

No, it can't be done with nslookup, as there's nothing in the DNS protocol
that does it.

>listings at Internic, but I can't find them anymore. Perhaps a public
>listing of all domains that have been registered somewhere?

whois host 'hostname'

will tell you the handle of the server.  Then

whois server 'handle'

will list up to 50 domains that use this as their server.

Of course, this won't tell you all of the domains served by a name server,
only the ones that are delegated by InterNIC.  It will be missing all the
subdomains, country domains, and reverse domains.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com