Forwarding and delegation

Sam Shteingart samsh at ms.com
Fri Oct 29 15:02:56 UTC 1999

I tried this, but it still didn't work.  Finally, I fugured out what was causing
the problem, and it seems to be a bug in BIND.  If I specify in named.conf first
the zone for the domain and then for sub-domain, the information for subdomain is
ignored.  If I do it in reverse order, everything works fine.  Here is example:

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        forwarders {
                XXXX;
                XXXX;
        };
        forward only;
};

zone "dev.morgan.com" {
        type forward;
        forwarders { };
};

zone "morgan.com" {
        type master;
        file "zone/morgan.com";
};

This works fine.  However, if I switch the two zone definitions around, delegation
for "dev.morgan.com" will stop working.

Another point.   BIND documentation for forward zone says "If either no forwarders
statement is present in the zone or an empty list for forwarders is given, then no
forwarding will be done for the zone, cancelling the effects of any forwarders in
the options statement. "  Actually, this does not work without an empty forwarders
list  (as Barry already pointed to me).

--
Sam Shteingart                  Morgan Stanley Dean Witter Co.
Phone: (212) 762-2377           Fax: (212)762-1009

e-mail:  samsh at ms.com