Subdomain delegation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Oct 28 22:18:48 UTC 1999

Mark Miller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a customer running a BIND v 4.9.3 nameserver.  They would like
> delegate a domain to us.  I have followed the examples in DNS & BIND v3 to
> delegate subdomains.
>
> I have created the subdomain zone in named.boot.  I then created the zone
> file for the subdomain with NS and A records for the name servers.  I also
> created the NS and A records for the subdomain in the zone file for the
> parent domain.  I have also set SOA in the subdomain zone file to our
> nameserver which is being delegated the domain.
>
> I do a dig to check things out, but dig does not return the A records for
> our nameservers.  The NS records are returned, but not the A records.  Our
> nameservers are under a completely different namespace than what our
> customer is.  Does this make a difference?
>
> Consequently, I cannot do nslookups on the subdomain.
>
> Our end is setup.  I can correctly resolve the domain from our nameservers,
> but I cannot resolve the subdomain on the nameservers delegating the domain
> to us.

Since the nameservers are, as you say, under a completely different namespace,
then it shouldn't really be necessary to add A records for them in either the
subdomain or parent domain's zone file. But it *is* important that the NS
records be resolvable someway somehow. Are you getting "sysquery: findns error
(NXDOMAIN)" errors (or something similar, depending on what version of
BIND you're running) in your logs when these queries fail? That indicates
trouble resolving the NS records.

I don't suppose you accidentally left the trailing period off the NS records,
did you? In that case, the parent domain would probably be tacked onto the
NS name and then everyone would have trouble resolving the delegation records.

Just a wild guess...

- Kevin