bind 8 is driving me crazy

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Thu Oct 28 22:12:01 UTC 1999

    Alex> I am trying to set up 3 DNS servers.  1 will be the master
    Alex> server and the other 2 will be slaves.  I am running BIND 8.
    Alex> When I started named on the servers all the db files were
    Alex> copied from the master to the slaves except a few.  Here is
    Alex> the error messages I am getting:

    Alex> Oct 27 22:13:13 ns1 named[5709]: Err/TO getting serial# for "trusted.net"
    Alex> Oct 27 22:13:13 ns1 named-xfer[5730]: [216.235.128.30] not authoritative for trusted.net, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 1, aucount 0

    Alex> ..messages repeated for the bactest.org, firstmtg.net,
    Alex> cmig.org and playbyplay.com domains

This is simple enough. Your slave server is trying to perform zone
transfers for these 5 zones from the name server on 216.235.128.30.
However that name server is not authoritative for the zones, so the
transfers fail. There are two possibilities. [1] The name server at
this address (ns.atl.trusted.net) is not configured a master or slave
server for these zones. [2] There are errors in the zone files on the
master server for these zones which prevents the server being
authoritative for them. The solution for [1] is obvious: fix
named.conf. For [2] you need to inspect the name server logs on the
master server and correct the errors that are reported there.

    Alex> Oct 27 22:04:27 ns named[1416]: sysquery: findns error (SERVFAIL) on
    Alex> ns1.atl.trusted.net?

You usually get these messages when some zone has an NS record for
ns1.atl.trusted.net but there's no corresponding A record for that
name in the atl.trusted.net zone.