problems with dns server

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 28 20:41:47 UTC 1999

In article <38183a1d.5663441 at usenet.kornet21.net>,
Tau Kim <usenet at turami.hongik.ac.kr> wrote:
>	Just a few days ago, I setted up a DNS server on a linux
>machine. It's working well when I checked up with nslookup setting
>server as itself. But when I try on other server like ns.internic.net
>it's not working.
>
>	At first, I thought it takes time to propagate the dns data,
>so I waited and waited but it's still not working. And I also tried to
>find SOA record, but there wasn't SOA record when I nslookuped.
>
>	Well, my words are somewhat confusing, so I show you my
>nslookup trace.
>
>ce.hongik.ac.kr <- this is what I setted up as a new master DNS
>server.
>www.ce.hongik.ac.kr <- I registered this on the DNS server

You have to add a delegation record to the hongik.ac.kr domain, so that it
tells everyone to go to the new server for the ce.hongik.ac.kr subdomain.
So, on ns.hongik.ac.kr, you have to add the following lines to the
hongik.ac.kr subdomain.

ce     NS  ns.ce
ns.ce  A   203.249.65.199

Your ns.ce.hongik.ac.kr server is answering non-authoritatively for the
subdomain, so there's probably a syntax error in its zone file.  Check your
logs on that machine.

And the secondary servers for the hongik.ac.kr domain don't seem to be
configured properly, so they're not transfering the zone.  This could also
cause problems.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com