Conflict among subdomains?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 28 20:29:14 UTC 1999

In article <3817DA22.4965 at uncg.edu>, Robert J. O'Hara <rjohara at uncg.edu> wrote:
>What I'm wondering is if you name a machine, say, earth.strong.uncg.edu,
>does it actually have to bear some network relation to strong.uncg.edu,
>or can it just be another machine in the uncg.edu domain?  If a new

There is no required relationship between domains and networks.  Think
about all the companies that out-source their web servers, so
www.company.com is at a web farm, while mail.company.com is on their own
network.

However, DNS administration can be easier if you do maintain such a
relationship.  If you have a separate DNS server for the strong.uncg.edu
subdomain, every time you make a change in there you'll need to notify the
people who manage your campus's reverse DNS to make sure they make a
corresponding PTR record change.  If there's a direct correspondence
between forward and reverse domains, you can alleviate this by having the
same administrator for both.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com