DNS Failures

John Coutts administrator at yellowhead.com
Wed Oct 27 23:35:14 UTC 1999

I posted an article a while ago with regards to port 53 on our DNS hanging up
once or twice a week. Well I believe I have solved the problem, but I would
still like to know why?

I traced 3 of the failures to a simple DNS request that was submitted using TCP
rather than UDP. Coincidently, all 3 requests were from different domains for
the same Domain Name that we host for a client. The requests were not for the
server itself, and received a negative response. After these requests, port 53
shut down and would not respond to any further requests. All other ports still
responded correctly.

We were using Version 2.1 of MetaInfo's port of BIND, and NT 3.51 SP5. MetaInfo
was of no assistance what-so-ever. Since I had to upgrade the operating system
to be able to upgrade the DNS, I undertook that step first. It has been running
on NT 4.0 SP3 now for almost 2 weeks and no failures. This is a relatively low
powered machine, and my concerns about resource utilzation proved to be
unfounded. Other when operating the server locally, resourse utilization is
actually better under 4.0.

But my real question is why did we suddenly start to have problems after 2
years of no problems at all? Why did we suddenly start to see simple DNS
requests using TCP? The RFC's strongly recommend using UDP because of the much
better efficiency. Is there some new function or feature that people have
started using?

Any light on the subject would be much appreciated.

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro