Logging to specific file

Amy Briggs amyc at gw.libofmich.lib.mi.us
Wed Oct 27 18:03:48 UTC 1999

Chapter 7 p. 147 starts the logging section in the DNS & BIND Third Edition O'Reilly book which explains in detail how to setup logging to specific files etc.  This book is excellent and I would highly recommend it for purchase if you do not own it already.

Amy

>>> Don Buchholz <buchhod at kentrox.com> 10/27/99 01:32PM >>>

You need to choose a legal "facility name" for your syslog.conf file.
Typical names are:  kern, user, mail, daemon, auth, syslog, lpr, news,
uucp, cron, local0, local1, local2, local3, local4, local5, local6, and
local7.

After choosing a facility, you must choose a "priority".  Common priority
names are:  emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, and debug.
This priority selects how verbose you want the messaging to be.  If you
select "debug" then everything will be printed in the log file.  If you
choose "err" then you'll only get messages reported as "err", "crit",
"alert", or "emerg" printed to the file.

The wildcard character (*) can be used for specifying a facility, but may
not work for priority.  If you want everything, just specify a "debug"
priority.

"man syslog.conf" should have your OS specifics.

Once you've selected a facility name and priority level, put the line in
your /etc/syslog.conf file.  Caution - some OS's have been very particular
about using a <TAB> character to delimit the columns (i.e. spaces may not
work)> for example:

	local3.debug		/var/adc/dns.log

The final part (which I don't have the answer to) is the configuration of
BIND to use the desired facility.  I believe that it defaults to "daemon".

- Don Buchholz, Communication Networks Manager   <don_buchholz at adc.com>
- ADC Telecommunications, Broadband Business Group - Portland, OR - USA
- 14375 NW Science Park Drive, Portland, OR 97229
- phone: 503/350-6466    FAX: 503/641-3321