Internal roots and forwarding.

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Wed Oct 27 05:02:15 UTC 1999

> The following is a quote from an earlier post:
>
> "While specifics vary, the key thing to keep in mind is that
> forwarders and internal roots are mutually exclusive configurations.
> A root server believes it is authoritative for anything
> (either directly or with a delegation).  There is no
> such thing as a better server (forwarder).  If your current
> setup revolves around forwarders, a change to internal roots will
> likely impact a lot more than just the DNS."
>
> Is this the case?  We would like to forward requests for specific external
> zones to an internet aware name server.  We are using internal root
servers.
> Is this possible?  I have tried creating some forward only zones on the
> 8.2.1 servers but it doesn't appear to work.
>
> I guess I'm looking for a 3rd opinion.

Well, this is hardly a third opinion, because I think someone from Acme
Byte & Wire posted the snippet you quoted, but yes, it's correct.
Forwarding and internal root name servers are mutually exclusive.  One
very fundamental problem is that, with forwarders configured, you send
your system query to your forwarder, not a root name server.
Consequently, you end up with the list of Internet root name servers,
not your internal root name servers, and you can't reach the Internet
root name servers.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.