dns: non-authoritative answer...why?

Colin Reinhardt colinrei at oz.net
Tue Oct 26 18:48:34 UTC 1999

Firstly, I would like to thank Cricket Liu and the others who have sent me
suggestions and helped with resolving my named/Bind 8.x configuration issue.
The quality of response I've received from this list is an order of
magnitude greater than other lists I've frequented.  It is not
unappreciated.

In troubleshooting, I've come up against this problem which I can't figure
out.
My nameserver responds with non-authoritative answers for the domain which
it is the master of.  It should be authoritative.
What would cause this?

In the named.conf I have it configured as follows...

options {
    directory "/var/named";
};

zone "edgewaterhotel.com" in {
    notify yes;
    type master;
    file "db.edgewaterhotel";
};

/* I have omitted the other entries here for the sake of brevity...

Is this correct for the primary authoritative nameserver for the domain?

Thanks much,

Colin Reinhardt